Homemade Healthy Pizza Recipe
First of all… who doesn’t love pizza?
Pizza is so versatile, it can be enjoyed in countless different ways. I must say homemade pizza is one of my favourites. Not only is it a fun dinner to make with family or friends, the end result is that little bit better for you than a takeaway, yet just as delicious.
In this blog post, we’ll share a simple and delicious recipe for homemade pizza that you can make at home.
Life-changing Pizza Slice Storage & Microwave Container
Taking your homemade pizza out with you, for lunch? This little gadget is great for not only transportation but also it’s microwavable: Pizza slice storage container. (and it comes in multiple colors to choose from!)
Homemade Healthy Pizza Recipe
Ingredients to make 1 pizza:
- 1 lb. (455 g) of pizza dough (store-bought)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of tomato sauce (tomato passata or marinara)
- 1/4 cup (28 g) of grated mozzarella or Gouda cheese (swap for desired alternatives)
- 1/4 cup (23 g) of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (28 g) of sliced pepperoni (optional)
- 1/4 cup (22 g) of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 (40 g) cup of sliced onions (optional)
- 1/4 (30 g) cup of sliced bell peppers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Pizza Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F / 220 degrees C.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to your desired thickness.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet or pizza tray.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the dough, leaving a little bit of space around the edges for the crust. If you’re using a sauce like tomato passata, adding extra seasonings is a must. If you opted for a marinara like sauce, read the label on what ingredients it already has mixed in. Usually marinara sauce comes with extra herbs and spices such as oregano and garlic, so you might not want to add too much more of the same seasonings.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan over the sauce.
- Time to add your toppings! Add the pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers on top of the cheese. If you don’t like those toppings, swap them out for any other vegetables and protein. Some other popular pizza toppings include olives, pineapple and sausage.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
For some added luxury, try pouring chilli or garlic oil over the top, or serve with a homemade mayonnaise garlic dip.
Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe
A delicious homemade pizza doesn’t have to take long to make or be complicated, especially if you buy pre made dough.
One of the best things about homemade pizza is that it’s so customisable. You can make it exactly to your liking, whether that means a thin and crispy crust or a thick and doughy one. You can also adjust the amount of sauce, cheese, and toppings to suit your taste.
Pizza is also one of those dishes that suits most dietary requirements. Lactose free? No problem, swap your cheeses. Allergic to certain toppings? Top your pizza with other toppings you like. Low calorie diet? Make your homemade healthy pizza recipe with a lower calorie pizza base, cheese and toppings. Here is a great low calorie pizza dough you can buy for a healthy pizza recipe – and it’s gluten free (I love this brand!).
Another great thing about homemade pizza is that it’s a social meal, great to make and enjoy with others. Everyone can take turns rolling out the dough and adding their favourite toppings.
Finally, homemade pizza is a great option for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to restaurant or takeaway pizza. By making it at home, you can control the ingredients, portion size and avoid any unwanted additives or preservatives. This will definitely save you extra unnecessary calories too!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can homemade pizza be healthy?
Of course! There are so many great pizza recipes with low calorie alternatives and substitutes, and because its homemade you can control exactly what goes into it. You’ll definitely skip on the preservatives and other industrialised ingredients that are high in fat and salt.
2. What are the healthiest pizza ingredients?
The healthiest pizza toppings are vegetables, and plenty of them to fill you up. Vegetables are high in vitamins, minerals and low in calories.
3. What to serve with homemade pizza?
There are plenty of great side dishes and dips that you can serve with a pizza. A fresh salad or corn on the cob are great sides to have alongside a pizza, to balance out the heavier meal. If you’re having more of a feast, try some onion rings, fries or garlic bread. As for sauces, people usually go for ones like aioli, mayonnaise, BBQ or ketchup.
4. When recipes say a cup how much is that?
A cup is equal to 16 tablespoons, 48 teaspoons, 0.23 liters or 236 milliliters.