I’m going to share my go-to simple carrot cake recipe that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want to enjoy a slice with your morning coffee, this recipe is easy to follow and produces a delicious cake that everyone will love.
Ingredients for a Simple Carrot Cake Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make my simple carrot cake recipe:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making a Simple Carrot Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots and chopped nuts (if using).
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for Making the Perfect Carrot Cake
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. This is especially important when it comes to the carrots, which are the star of the show in this cake.
- Don’t overmix the batter, or your cake will be tough and dry. Mix until just combined, then stop.
- If you’re using nuts, toast them first for extra flavor. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, or until fragrant.
- If you want to make a two-layer cake, double the recipe and divide the batter evenly between two 9-inch cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Variations on the Simple Carrot Cake Recipe
While I love the classic version of this cake, there are a few variations you can try to mix things up:
- Add raisins or dried cranberries for a burst of sweetness.
- Swap out the nuts for shredded coconut for a tropical twist.
- Replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or almond flour for a healthier option.
- Add a cream cheese frosting on top of the cake for an extra indulgent treat.
Serving and Storing Your Simple Carrot Cake
This cake is best served at room temperature, so take it out of the fridge about an hour before serving. You can also warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds if you prefer it slightly warm.
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer-safe container.
Frequently Asked Questions About Carrot Cake
Can I use a food processor to shred the carrots?
Yes, you can. Just make sure not to shred them too finely, or they’ll turn to mush in the cake.
Can I use a different type of oil?
Yes, you can use any neutral-tasting oil, like canola or grapeseed oil.
Can I use a different type of nut?
Yes, you can use any nut you like, or leave them out entirely if you prefer.
I hope you enjoy making and eating this simple carrot cake recipe as much as I do. It’s a crowd-pleaser that’s perfect for any occasion, from birthday parties to afternoon tea. With a few simple ingredients and some basic baking skills, you can whip up a delicious cake that everyone will love.
Other Similar Posts: